Interested in a Vienna Circle-themed city tour? Or a tour of the Art Nouveau Secession Building? We have arranged for a limited number of spots on these special tours! Further information: http://vsl2014.at/guided-tours/
Vienna University of Technology is within walking distance of Hofburg Palace (the former imperial residence), important music venues including the Vienna State Opera and the Musikverein (home of the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra – from where the New Year’s Concert is annually broadcasted around the globe), of beautiful churches such as the splendid Baroque Karlskirche (St. Charles’ Church) and Stephansdom (St. Stephen’s Cathedral), which is located at the very city center, of major museums including the art nouveau Secession, the Albertina Museum, the Museum of Fine Arts (Kunsthistorisches Museum), the Museum of Natural History (Naturhistorisches Museum), the newly built Museumsquartier hosting modern art, and the Belvedere (a complex of two Baroque palaces housing an art museum), as well as Europe’s largest open market – the Naschmarkt – with variety of international restaurants.
An extensive account of travel information for Vienna can be found on the official webpage of the a Vienna Tourist Board. The webpage of the city of Vienna offers all sorts of information on Vienna including tourist information.
We also recommend
- this NYTimes.com Travel article on how to spend 36 hours in Vienna,
- this BBC Travel article covering everything from Viennese palaces to Heuriger, as well as
- these CNNGo TV videos exploring young artists’ and athletes’ favourite places in Vienna.
Close to the venue, there will be a number of festivals during and around VSL:
- Jazzfest Wien (June 26 — July 8)
- Popfest Wien (July 24–27)
- ImPulsTanz (July 17 — August 17)
- Kino unter Sternen (open-air cinema, June 27 — July 19)
- Music Film Festival at Rathausplatz (open-air cinema & international cuisine, June 28 — August 31)
FIFA World Cup
Public screenings of the FIFA World Cup matches (known in German as “public viewings”) are held throughout the city. Arrive early (or book a table) to get a seat for the (semi-)finals.